Tuesday 5 April 2011

Hyperpigmentation Post 1

During my early-mid teens I suffered pretty severe acne, thankfully I have cleared that all up but now I am left with horrible hyper pigmentation scarring. I am now hoping to take you on my journey to getting rid of it :)

What is hyperpigmentation?

One thing to remember is that hyperpigmentation is not the same as acne scarring. Hyperpigmetation is essentially excess melanin in the skin caused by either sun damage, age or scarring

What are my options?

Most dermatologists will tell you one of two things:
Either just wait for it 'fade' ie wait around 20 years
OR
Undergo very tedious and expensive laser/chemical/microdermabrasion sessions
However, in my opinion using the right products at the right times in the right amounts can make the biggest difference.

My plan:
  • Recently I have been doing SO much research into what really is the best and most cost effective way to get rid of hyperpigmentation.


  • Firstly and most importantly is to use a daily sunscreen to prevent any spots getting darker and any new ones from forming.
  • I am still searching for the perfect under-makeup suncream and have been looking at brands like: La Roche Posay and Peter Thomas Roth

  • Secondly, exfoliation is key. Physical exfoliants such as scrubs are not particularly effective when dealing with hyperpigmentation and I strongly recommend a chemical exfoliant such as Glycolic acid (AHA) or BHAs.
  • Currently I am using Paula's Choice Exfoliating 8% Alpha Hydroxy Acid Gel

  • Next and this is optional, but if you have slightly darker skin like my Meditteranean skin, you will want to use a skin lightener cream just on those stubborn spots
  • Ingredients to look for in a skin lightener cream are: Alpha Arbutin- a natural and proven skin lightener, Kojic Acid- careful if you have sensitive skin though and several antioxidants
  • Another ingredient that I recomment would be Hydroquinone. Now I know that Hydroquinone has been linked to cancer howver, all researched and reputable dermatologists will tell you that that is completely unjust. There is no medical evidence to say that Hydroquinone leads to cancer. But of course, if you are wary, do not use it.

  • Finally, the golden product that I hope will help me is TCA acid peels. I use a home kit that i purchased of MakeupArtistsChoice.com which is a well known brand for home peels. This peel in a salon can go up to £500 a pop but they are very well known to get rid of hyperpigmentation.


I will keep you all updated on how this new skincare regime is working for me. What are your holy grail products for clear, bright skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment